, , , , , , , ,

I was looking forward to playing this event as I had good memories of the course having played it three years previously. So I traveled up on the Monday and I had a plan of action for the first couple of days, but due to high winds I decided not to play the course when I arrived and instead I walked it, checking lines off the tees and the slopes on the greens. I felt this was better preparation than getting blown all over the place and potentially losing confidence from fighting the wind. By the time late evening had come the wind had died enough to play nine holes and I was happy with how I was hitting the ball and looking forward to the week ahead.

With not being in the pro am it was a good chance to work on a few things, mostly short game as the wind had once again freshened up, as the same as Monday I went out and played a few holes with a couple of the other players in the evening with this all done, it was time to relax in anticipation of round 1 and this week I was lucky enough to be staying with some friends in Brian and Louise who live next to the 3rd green, very handy indeed. Weeks like this are rare in that it is the closest you get to feeling at home and they certainly made me feel like I was at home.

So I was off early in round one and I didn’t get the best of starts being a couple over through four holes, but lately I have been producing a fair few birdies and this week was no different as I reeled off three birdies over the next seven holes to go under par for the round. But as well as making birdies I have been dropping too many shots and I dropped four more shots including the last two holes, with only one gain coming on the 16th and this meant I finished the first round with a 74 and some work to do to catch the leaders.

With a late tee time for the second round, I hit the range and short game area, looking to resolve the issues of round 1.

Round two started slowly with two bogies and a birdie on the front nine and it was now looking like I would need to play the back nine in at least three under to play the final day, I gave it a good go but couldn’t get the putter working despite reeling off four birdies which was down to excellent iron play as I nearly holed a number of shots that left easy birdie putts. Unfortunately as well as four birdies, there was two bogies and my second round of 71 was not enough to make the cut as I fell short by a shot.

Leaving for home early is extremely frustrating for a number of reasons, especially when missing by a shot, but it now meant I had an extra day at home to figure out what I need to improve going into the next event at Prince’s.